Sunday, August 28, 2016

A SPOONFUL OF POISON by M.C. Beaton



 




When you start reading an Agatha Raisin book, you know what you are going to get.

Fifty-something-year-old Agatha is going to run after every unattached man (and maybe a few who are attached). She is going to make a fool of herself, wear the wrong hair extensions or dress in an outlandish way. And she is going to do some good things too.

Her friend Mrs. Bloxby will be there to keep her on track. A local cop, Bill Wong, will help smooth the way with the police. And Agatha's ex husband and boyfriends will come in and out of her house and her life at will.

Oh, by the way, she will solve a cozy-type crime or two. Some of the crimes may be murders, but M.C. Beaton will present them in a cozy way.

In M.C. Beaton's A Spoonful of Poison, the first probable murder occurs before the story begins. Then the local vicar of a small church in the English countryside cons Agatha into doing the publicity for his church's money-raising bazaar. The church needs the money for a new roof.

Of course, Agatha overdoes it. She has a rock star friend of hers open the event, attracts thousands of people, and somebody puts LSD in the homemade jam.

A hallucinating little old lady jumps off the church steeple. The murders and the mystery begin.

This time, Agatha works with the newest detective in Agatha's detective agency, Toni. Toni is a beautiful young woman who ends up upstaging Agatha.

As I said, A Spoonful of Poison is a typical Agatha Raisin.

I read Agatha Raisin for a break. If I need something light to put a smile on my face, Agatha Raisin usually fills the bill.

3 comments:

George said...

Agatha Raisin books are usually plentiful at Library Book Sales so I pick them up. Like you, I enjoy an Agatha Raisin mystery when I want a change of pace.

Richard Robinson said...

I'll have to try one of these when I need that same kind of light break from other reading. Is there a particularly good starting place, or can I just drop into the series anywhere?

Joe Barone said...

Agatha Raisin is an acquired taste, I think. You either like them or you don't. I like them as a break.

Sorry to be so long in replying. Our Internet has been out for a few days.