Thursday, December 29, 2016

THE LABOURS OF HERCULES by Agatha Christie






“In the period before his final retirement [Hercule Poirot] would accept twelve cases, no more, no less. And those twelve cases would be selected with special reference to the twelve Labors of ancient Hercules. Yes, that would not only be amusing, it would be spiritual.”   --From the Foreword of Agatha Christie’s The Labours of Hercules
-----

Twelve short stories, twelve labors. 

Agatha Christie’s The Labours of Hercules chronicles twelve cases of Hercule Poirot. They range from finding out who kidnapped a dog the kidnapper has already returned to saving the reputation of a friend.

My favorite story was a clever con story.

In each of the stories Christie somehow ties Poirot’s case to a mythical labor. For example, as Poirot tracks down rumors, Poirot comments, “Rumor is indeed the nine-headed Hydra of Lernea which cannot be exterminated because as fast as one head is chopped off two grow in its place.”

I checked out this book from our local library in a Kindle edition. I thought it would be fun to read because I had not read it before. 

3 comments:

George said...

THE LABOURS OF HERCULES was one of the first Agatha Christie books I ever read. I was about 14 years old and was stunned by it. I immediately binged on Christie mysteries for a month!

Richard Robinson said...

One of my favorite Christie story collections. Thanks for posting on it.

Barry Ergang said...

This might have been the first Christie work I read when I was 11 or 12, and I'm pretty sure a neighbor gave me his copy because he was finished with it. It was either this or The A.B.C. Murders, which I'm certain was the first full-length Christie novel I read.