Monday, December 22, 2008

the cruel stars of the night


Monday, December 22, 2008

the cruel stars of the night by Kjell Eriksson is a haunting trip through the mind of an insane killer. If you are into that kind of thing, you should like this book.

It is not a quick read. There are "exterior" and "interior" mystery novels. The exterior ones put the emphasis on action, taking you from one event to another. Almost always you look at the characters from the outside and the story moves you on.

The "interior" novels have you looking through the eyes of all or most of the characters. You know what they are thinking, and you are involved, even in their insanity.

This is an "interior" book that describes insanity in a way that makes you a part of it.

Other readers have said this is not Eriksson's best book. They say the moving back and forth between the mental landsapes of the different characters makes it hard to relate to any character, and I agree. But finally, when I was done, I felt almost tainted by an insane mind. In that regard, this book made me shiver.

I read these kinds of books as a break from my "quick reads." Every once in a while it is good to read a mystery that is also more than just a genre novel. the cruel stars of the night was that kind of book for me.



If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

No comments: