Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The impact we have on those around us

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

We've been surrounded by family and friends this holiday season

Sometimes I think we underestimate the impact we have on those around us. I used to teach high school English. That was a long time ago, more than thirty years. And yet a couple years ago, I got a call from a former student. He works as a technical writer in a large company. He and another technical writer friend in the same company would eat dinner together each day.

One day they started talking about their favorite teacher, the one who had most influenced them to end up as writers. It was the same teacher. I had taught both students in two different schools. And one of them cared enough to call me and tell me how much I had mattered to them both.

How many people have we touched in a positive way, you and I, sometimes perhaps without us even knowing it? And how many have touched us?

Take time today to count your blessings. And also, stop and thank those who have made a difference in your life.

If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

2 comments:

Realmcovet said...

Most definately, Joe. Everyday is a great day to count blessings, is it not??

Oh, and by the "by"?? I FINALLY got the chance to venture up to Barnes & Noble to go on a mad hunt for your book, The Body in the Record Room, but it wasn't on their shelves yet. So I ordered it, and they say it'll be there in a week!! Yay! I'm really looking forward to reading your book. And when I'm there, if there are other copies out and about?? I'm going to randomly place them on headlining "bestseller" shelves when no one is looking.

For I am the "Robin Hood" of literature. :D

Joe Barone said...

Thanks for your enthusiasm Realm! It is always good to hear from you.