Thursday, December 11, 2008

A strange observation

Friday, December 12, 2008

Each morning, I collect cartoons for my wife.

It all started when the Kansas City Star dropped Funky Winkerbean. We always liked Funky, especially when the strip deals with real issues, issues such as breast cancer and the grief that can bring. (That may be why Funky is not the most popular of cartoons.)

I subscribed to a site that sells Funky and other strips, and then I started looking elsewhere for cartoons we don't get locally including editorial cartoons.

Anyway, I've noticed how much I'm attracted or turned off by different styles of drawing. Some cartoons just invite me in because they are so well drawn. Ann Telnaes is that way. And others seem to turn me off.

So it is with writing, I think. I like particular styles of writing and other styles turn me away. Some people may find my own rather sparse way of putting things a put-off. I like clear concrete writing. And I prefer short books, 60,000 to 80,000 words. I have read books like The Brothers Karamazov and the like, but I certainly prefer shorter, more clearly written books.

So our writing style matters. We connect to those whom we connect with through our style. Some may like it and some may hate it, but that's life, isn't it?

Finally, none of us write for everybody. We write for those who are in some way or another touched by what we write, and we hope there are a lot of people in that category.

Writing is an expression of who we are as people. Writing is as individual as most of the other things we do in life.



If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

No comments: