Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Cat Who Brought Down the House


Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Cat Who Brought Down the House is a little puzzle wrapped in a whole bunch of dinners.

It had been forever since I'd read one of Lilian Jackson Braun's books. This was an old paperback from a library. I'd forgotten how often Jim Qwilleran eats in these stories. Pickax and the area around has more restaurants than any small town I've ever known, and they serve the most exotic foods, everything from baba ghanouj (whatever that is) on down. Now you tell me. Does your small town have a restaurant which serves baba ghanouj?

The title of the book refers to the climax of the story.

These are cute stories, kind of right wing cozies, more cozy than most cozies even. The main character in the book is a Siamese cat who howls when someone is murdered miles away or when he comes into contact with the murderer.

I find these little books to be exactly what they are supposed to be--a change of pace. The Cat Who Brought Down the House was a good way to get away from the more real murders for a while.



If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Your lucky to find a restaurant that serves eggs in my hometown!!! Hometown is:
Princeton, Missouri

Joe Barone said...

Great to hear from you Cousin Helen. I don't think we can get whatever that stuff is in Columbia either.