Monday, January 5, 2009

Interesting people

Monday, January 5, 2009

I love good stories.

I started thinking about this as I read Funky Winkerbean this morning.

Funky Winkerbean hasn't always been one of my favorite comic strips. As I first remember it, it featured Harry L. Dinkle selling his band candy. It emphasized him almost entirely. Then it drifted off on to other stories, some of them quite serious, and I became interested.

I've watched Lisa die of breast cancer, Funky marry and divorce, Les and Lisa's daughter grow up. And now I think I'm watching Les begin to develop a new relationship.

People's lives are what really matters. I enjoy a good story. I like having some sort of puzzle to work out, wondering what is going to happen next, but most of all, I want to learn about people's lives. And I want to write about people's lives too. I want them to be real people with good and bad things happening to them.

Funky Winkerbean is not the most popular comic on the comic page. My own newspaper The Kansas City Star dropped it (fie on them!), and I had to get it from another source. But to me, Funky is worth reading because I like the people.

May I always write about interesting people. And may I always be able to find good books (and good comic strips) about interesting people.



If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

2 comments:

Realmcovet said...

I LOVE reading comics. There are some of THEE BEST personalities in comics.

I gave you an award on my blog. Cheers. :)

Joe Barone said...

Thanks, Realm. I never thought about the game of making new Mii's on the Wii. I have the same old gray haired guy with glasses.