Thursday, January 22, 2009

Remembering Travis McGee


Thursday, January 22, 2009

I revisited Travis McGee. I reread A Tan and Sandy Silence after probably thirty years.

I'd forgotten how introspective Travis McGee is. I'd also forgotten how John D. MacDonald can write whole pages about little things--the beach beauties who come and go, different individuals each season, but the group is always the same. The individuals don't matter, they grow old and pass away, but each year the young and tantalizing group is always there.

Some things about the McGee books are dated, especially their portrayal of women, but, oh, can John D. MacDonald draw villains. The core villain in this book is every bit as frightening as Hannibal Lecter.

MacDonald was ahead of his time when it came to condemning our destruction of the environment.

So now I know why I still remember Travis McGee and Meyer. I remember how the plots were so intricate that I could never fully follow them. They almost always had to do with financial things. But the main characters were memorable. I still remember those characters today.


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

No comments: