Friday, January 16, 2009

What do you remember?

Friday, January 16, 2009

Think about the mystery stories you read in the last year. Which of them do you remember? How about over a lifetime?

Is memorability a good quality for a mystery story, or are all mystery stories just meant to be read and forgotten?

I ask this because I had a friend say, "I read your book a couple months ago, but I still remember Roy, Harry and Bullet. I can't say that about the characters of very many of the stories I've read."

She was giving me a compliment, but it made me start thinking of which books and characters I remember. It has been years since I've read Nero Wolfe, but I still remember . . .

There haven't been too many like that over the years.


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

No comments: