Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The best mystery novels of all time


Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Suppose I set the goal of trying to read the best mystery novels of all time. Maybe the top ten or even the top one hundred. Where would I get a list? And how would I know it had authority?

The answer, of course, is that there is probably no such list. Everyone has his or her opinion. But still I Googled.

I found the Mystery Guild of America's Top 15 list. And I found a rather well-known (but now dated) list, HRF Keating's 100 Best Crime and Mystery Books.

Here's another list. It is just the Mystery Guild's full list of 100. (I'm kind of a doofus. I didn't notice that until later.)

Here's a topical list. One of its categories is "bests."

And here's another list, not a "bests" list, but one of the most interesting lists I ran across.

These lists show how wide the choices are.

You can Google too, and you might come up with other good lists. If you do, let me know.

If you had to list, say, your top five favorites, what would they be?

So many mysteries and so little time! Oh, well . . .


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

No comments: