Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Why I love to write

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Writing is fun. Someone asked me once, "What do you mean by that?"

To me there's nothing more exciting than the flow of ideas when writing is going well. I am in the process of writing the third Roy Rogers book, The Body in the Hospital Cemetery.

Yesterday the ideas were flowing.

If I were a superstitious person, I might not talk about this because I could jinx it, but it doesn't happen that way. It either works or doesn't work. And it certainly doesn't work if I'm not writing.

I have problems sometimes. Usually I write quickly, and then when I clean things up and rewrite at the end of each day, I can become fixated on some little thing and edit the life out of my writing. I try not to do that.

One thing that happens as I write is that the characters grow. They come up with things I didn't think they would come up with or do things I didn't expect them to do.

I have no illusions that I am a great writer. I'm just a fellow who keeps learning and keeps writing. I often write two or three books a year, all of them fairly short (about 60-70,000 words). Those are the kinds of books I like to read--quick reads, I call them.

I have the feeling I could write four to six if I chose to.

I like books with interesting people in them. So I try to write about interesting people.

In the end, it is a great blessing that I now have time to write. I find writing to be great fun.



If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

No comments: