Wednesday, March 4, 2009

An ambitious goal


Thursday, March 4, 2009

I've set myself an ambitious goal. To read through The Mystery Guild of America's list of one hundred best mystery novels of all time.

I realize that it's just their list. Others might have other lists. But I figure if I can read about twenty of the books per year, I can do it in five years. And that's not taking into account the books I've already read, which is quite a number.

My hope is to both enjoy myself and to learn from the various mysteries. The Complete Sherlock Holmes is the first book on the list. I've read most of that.

I don't intend to read through the books on the list in order. I'll just read whichever one I want to read at that time.

You can keep track of what I'm doing because I'll probably mention the books as I read them.

I've never been much for setting goals like this one. I wouldn't do this if I didn't think it would be fun.

So, here's the beginning announcement. I'll let you know how I am doing.



If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

8 comments:

Realmcovet said...

That's a pretty cool goal to set Joe. I like the idea!! :)

Corey Wilde said...

You have a more disciplined soul than I do, Joe. Good luck!

(I'm surprised by how many of these I've read, and equally surprised that some of them are considered among the best mysteries of all time. When you get to Craig Rice's Home Sweet Homicide let me know what you think.)

Joe Barone said...

Thanks, Realm. Now we'll see if I can do it. I think I can.

Erica Orloff said...

Hi Joe:
When I was a little girl, I read Nancy Drew's. Around 3rd grade, my father said, "The heck with that, read the master." He gave me an unabridged complete Sherlock Holmes and I read it all and LOVED it!!!!!!! I often then I should read it again for fun . . . all these years later.
E

Joe Barone said...

Corey,
I'll let you know when I have read the book.

Joe Barone said...

Erica,
That doesn't surprise me at all. I didn't read Sherlock Holmes until much later.

Lesa said...

Well, I read 31 of them, so that's not to bad. Looks like it could be fun. Enjoy the reading, Joe!

Lesa
http://lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com

Joe Barone said...

Lesa,
I've read several of them too (not 31!). I will reread some of those and give myself a pass on others. I don't think I'm up to In Cold Blood again, and I've read To Kill a Mockingbird several times.

In response to your comment, I AM enjoying the reading. I'm reading The Moonstone now. I plan to read one of these every other book I read with current books in between.