Thursday, March 19, 2009

Casting Spells


Thursday, March 19, 2009

If you are having a bad day, read this book.

Barbara Bretton's
Casting Spells is not ordinarily the kind of book I'd read at all, but I enjoyed it.

It is the story of the proprietor of Sugar Maple, Vermont's knitting shop.

The thing that makes the story different is that the young woman, Chloe Hobbs, is half human and half magickal (the book's spelling of the word). Sugar Maple is a town where witches, vampires, fairies and trolls came to hide from the Salem witch trial persecutions. It is protected by a magical spell which will expire if Chloe fails to marry and have a daughter. Because the spell is weakening (Chloe hasn't found anyone she loves), a town visitor is murdered.

So what is someone like me doing reading a book like this? I thought it was a hoot, and a good story besides. It has love and action. The voice of the major narrator (Chloe) is perfectly done.

One of the young women at the Magical Musings blog recommended the book.

I make no apology for dipping into a book for which 66-year-old men are clearly not the audience. I thought the book was fun. Thanks to Magical Musings for recommending it.

12 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

Wow . . . now that is not a book I would choose either, but what a cute concept! (And I like to knit!)

E

Joe Barone said...

Erica,
You hit exactly the word that went through my mind as I read the book--cute. For me it was a great get away kind of book. --Joe.l

Joe Barone said...

Erica,
I had one other thought about this book. It has real evil in it. They are fighting something that takes lives. --Joe.

Erica Orloff said...

Joe:
Interesting. See . . . I like that, too. Because there really is evil in the world.
E

Michelle said...

Thanks for mentioning Magical Musings, Joe. And yes, Edie's review made me order this book, too. I'm eagerly waiting for it. :)

Joe Barone said...

I enjoy Mgical Musings and check in on it regularly.

Edie said...

Joe, thanks for the shout out! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Barbara Bretton has another Sugar Maple book coming out later this year. I'll be reading that one, too.

Joe Barone said...

You are welcome, Edie.

LaDonna said...

Hey Joe, I'll be reading this one too! Edie did a great review. And thanks for Magical shout-out. We love seeing ya there!

Joe Barone said...

LaDonna,
It is fun hearing from you all.

Liz Kreger said...

Hi Joe. Thanx for mentioning MM. I've seen "Casting Spells" at the local Waldenbooks and meant to pick it up. Sounds like a fun read.

Joe Barone said...

Liz,
I read it in one day and enjoyed the humor and the story in it.