Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sports Mystery Novels

Saturday, March 21, 2009

The NCAA men's tournament made me start thinking about sports mystery novels.

Aside from Dick Francis and Harlan Coben, I haven't read many that I remember. But I was surprised at how many there are.

Sometimes I'll turn on a basketball game (my alma mater the University of Missouri plays Marquette tomorrow), turn down the sound, and read a book.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know a mystery novel series written around basketball? How about any mystery novels written around a women's team, sport or player?

9 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I don't know of any basketball or women's sports mysteries. I vaguely recall reading - like 25 years ago or more - a mystery about a tennis player. I don't remember anything about the plot except that at one point the tennis player checks into a hotel under the alias 'Frederick Walker.' So much more inconspicuous than John Smith or John Doe, he informed me. Now why such a mundane detail would stick in my head...

Joe Barone said...

I love it! You are like me. You remember the little bitty unimportant things.

Corey Wilde said...

Sad but true.

Lesa said...

I remembered that Martina Navritalova "wrote" a tennis series, so I checked it out on Wikipedia. She later wrote three mystery novels with Liz Nickles: The Total Zone (1994), Breaking Point (1996), and Killer Instinct (1997). They feature a female ex-tennis star, Jordan Myles, now a partner and head physical therapist at California's Desert Springs Sports Science Center. They weren't too bad either.

Joe Barone said...

Lesa,
Thanks. I think I'll look up one of these and read it. --Joe.

Cathy said...

According to Stop, You're Killing Me!, there is one listed mystery featuring an ex-basketball player. The website also lists many other sports-related mysteries. You can check it out here.

Joe Barone said...

Cathy,
What an interesting site. Thanks! I'm going to look up some of these to read.

Cathy said...

Stop, You're Killing Me! is one of my primary internet sources for mysteries. I love that place!

Corey Wilde said...

SYKM is a favorite site for me, too. Sometimes to look up info, sometimes to browse what new books are coming out.