Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Study in Scarlet


Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Study in Scarlet surprised me. I didn't expect it to be as compelling as it is.

I thought I had read the book before, but it turns out I hadn't. I'm reading it as a part of my goal to read the "The 100 best mystery novels of all time" in the next five years.

Of course this "100" list is just another list. There are many of them. I chose this one to start.

A Study in Scarlet is a mid-to-late-1800's story of U.S. religious abuse which spills over into Sherlock Holmes' London. Conan Doyle writes clearly. He writes without the stylistic affectations often used back then. This is the kind of story which could be told today. The story itself, not just the character of Sherlock Holmes, makes this book worth reading.

If you haven't read it, you might want to look it up.


4 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I listened to several of the Holmes stories on tape a few years back. They were read by British actor Robert Lindsay, and were terrific to listen to. You mention that the writing is without the stylistic affectations, and for some reason in listening to these stories Holmes himself seemed less affected (and more interesting) to me than he does in the Hollywood portrayals. That's not to say I'd ever turn up my nose at Basil Rathbone or anything.

Joe Barone said...

As you can probably tell, I was more impressed with the book than I expected to be.

Edie said...

I read all the Sherlock Holmes stories, but it's been quite awhile. Maybe I'll see if my library has them on tape.

Joe Barone said...

Edie,
I was glad I had read the book.