Monday, March 16, 2009

Yes, The River Knows


Monday, March 16, 2009

Tracy
Dunham knows small towns.

That's one thing I look for in these kinds of mysteries. There is a sub-genre in mystery stories. It is the small town mystery. Most writers don't do it very well.

I've lived in small towns all my life. I know about how relationships are everything. And in southern small towns, race plays a big part. Tracy
Dunham understands that. In Wynnton, South Carolina, the small town in Yes, The River Knows, the banker will tell the local prosecutor about your private business without the prosecutor's having to have a legal warrant.

In
Wynnton, some people have returned because they are coming back from something, looking to hide or be redeemed. Everybody is somehow connected to or related to Miss Ena. And small town girls do torture neighbor girls they see as vulnerable, even if it makes them outcasts forever.

When Talbot Jefferson and Travis
Whitlock find a disembodied head floating in the river, their find also opens up the nastiness which, in certain areas at least, underlies all small towns.

I learned about this book on a blog (Erica
Orloff's). I'm glad I did. The book has a lot of action, interesting characters, an intriguing love interest for the female hero Tal, nasty villains, and it leaves you wanting more.

I will read more of Tracy
Dunham's writing.


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.


2 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

SO COOL, Joe!!!! :-)

Tracy and I were in a writers' group for about four years, give or take, I guess. I was a "kid" (mid-twenties) and she was older and had published Westerns. I remember the first time she brought an edgier book along the lines of this one. And for me, it was a big WOW. She's a great writer.
E

Joe Barone said...

She is a great writer. Thanks for introducing me to her work. --Joe.