Thursday, April 9, 2009

Why I blog


Thursday, April 9, 2009

This blog keeps me honest.

When I retired, I decided to devote my "working" life to mystery stories.

For retired people, your "working life" consists of those things you do to keep your sanity. For some people, that's golf. For my wife, that's quilting. For me it is reading and writing mystery stories.

And this blog keeps me honest. I know that when I write a review, it will not make a huge amount of difference. The book I'm reading now has a promotional blurb on the back from Bob Woodward of Watergate fame. Now what difference could my little review make in the face of a book endorsed by Bob Woodward?

But I read the book because I plan to tell you about it. I read more books, and I think about them more, because I'm going to write about them.

I've always done my thinking in writing. Often I am amazed at the ideas I have as I write. I hadn't even thought of something, at least in any conscious way, until I started writing.

Originally, I viewed this blog as a way of keeping in touch with readers of The Body in the Record Room. They could communicate with me through the blog, and I could tell them what is happening to me. But now, the blog has changed. It is just my way of documenting my devotion to mystery stories wherever that devotion leads me.

So, why do I blog? It keeps me honest. I keeps me focused on what I have decided will be the interest of my waning years.

Hopefully, there will be a lot of years to blog.


No comments: