Friday, April 10, 2009

Why I read different kinds of mysteries


Friday, April 10, 2009

I just finished reading a social mystery, a murder mystery which reminded me of The Great Gatsby. The society it portrayed was self-important and empty.

That's not the kind of novel I usually read. So why read it now?

This particular book was an ARC sent to me in the hopes I would review it on the blog (which I will). But I told them to send it to me. When I read the description, it sounded interesting.

The fact they would send it to a little blog like mine might tell you something about the publishing industry. They must feel that blogging tentacles reach to unknown places where there are other tentacles. They must be looking for new ways to promote their books.

To be honest, I feel strange reviewing an advanced reading copy of such a novel because I am not the author's selected audience. But maybe I am. Maybe they need all kinds of new and different readers.

I read a variety of mystery novels. I read cozies and more noir-type novels. I read books like Tony Hillerman's. I read books about cats who are detectives.

I will read almost any kind of mystery story at least once.

Why do I read so many different kinds of stories? I enjoy mystery stories. If I just can't stand a book, I don't finish it. I just put it down. But I finish most books. I find something interesting or redeeming in most books.

As a writer I appreciate people who have given my book a try, so the least I can do is to try to do the same for others.

I myself don't write to a type. My book is not a cozy and it is not noir. You have to be an adventurer to read a book like mine. I suspect it will be that way with all the books I write. I don't like to write to type.

Maybe that's why I don't like to read to type either.


PS I don't expect to be asked to review a lot of books before publication. My blog is too small potatoes. But who am I to turn down free books if they interest me at all? Also, one reason I blog is to promote reading. All reading. I love reading and find myself enhanced because I read a lot. I hope I can lead others in the same direction.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

It is strange. I get advertisements about books everyday now. And I rarely review current books-just the oldies.

Joe Barone said...

I do both and, by and large, I enjoy both. But I wouldn't give up reading oldies.

Jen said...

I'm so happy that there is so much variety in the mystery genre. I enjoy noir and cozies and everything in between...well, almost everything. I'm not so fond of the paranormal...but that just goes to show that there's something for almost everyone!

Joe Barone said...

And well-written examples in each category too. We are blessed.