Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A simple question


Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Today, I have a simple question.

Who is the best unheralded writer you have ever read? I mean someone no one reads, but you really enjoyed.

Having stumbled on Colin Watson, not someone unknown, but someone unknown to me, it occurs to me there are surely a lot of mystery writers I might never hear of. And I might like to read some of them.

So, will you share your one unknown, mostly unread writer? Tell me a sentence or two about that person's books. I might try to look that person and that book up.

5 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I never hear anyone talk about Robert Bailey. He wrote three books in a series about a middle-aged, thinning-haired, married & teenaged children, non-alcoholic PI named Art Hardin. I really loved these books. I thought the plots were complex and imaginative; there was plenty of situational humor aside from wisecracking; and Art was just your everyday American man trying to support his family and not get killed in the process. The books are, in order, Private Heat, Dying Embers, and Dead Bang. They should be read in sequence, I think. I hope to see another in the series some day, but it's been maybe three or four years since Dead Bang was published.

Joe Barone said...

Thanks, Corey. I've ordered them.

Corey Wilde said...

I'm a little surprised they're still available. The books just kind of came and went with no fanfare at all.

pattinase (abbott) said...

This isn't crime-as far from it as you can go but I loved the novels of Elizabeth Taylor (not that one) set in the middle of the last century in England.
Robert Bailey sounds terrific, but I don't think most men would like Elizabeth Taylor unless the like Anita Brookner and Barbara Pym. An acquired taste.

Joe Barone said...

Thanks, Patti. That's surely an author whose name I won't forget. If I run across her at Village Books, I'll probably pick one up because of your recommendation.