Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mureder stories in the Bible


Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I happened to glance over at my bookshelves and see the Bibles and other books about religion. (I've gotten rid of most of them. So much of that is available on CD now. There is no longer a need for ministers to have roomfuls of shelves filled with books.)

Anyway, that started me thinking about murders in the Bible.

I thought of Cain and Abel. And I immediately thought of David's murder of Uriah the Hittite. That story's got everything from David's lust, to the decline of David's kingdom. The main portion of it ends in another murder, the murder of Absalom.

The story of David and Bathsheba always makes me think of one of my favorite songs, Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah."

Also, the Bible is filled with strong women. I think of Jael who killed the enemy Sisera by driving a tent peg into his head.

If you are looking for good murder stories, you might try the Bible.


-----
PS Do you have suggestions of other Bible murders I haven't mentioned?

2 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

Ain't that the truth!

Joe Barone said...

Corey,
Just setting the religious stuff aside, I've always seen the best biblical stories (i.e. the story of David, etc.) as strongly and directly written. Modern writers would have a lot to learn from the storytellers in the Bible.