Thursday, July 23, 2009

Short Takes

Thursday, July 23, 2009

--The next book up for me is Stieg
Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tatto. It is 600 pages, so it may be a while before you hear from me again about the book.

--I have a reading list, but all the blog suggestions get in the way. I came to Larsson's
book because of a blog suggestion. I understand the sentiment in Corey's blog title The Drowning Machine. I have so many books I want to read.

--Do you know what the name of the product
WD-40 stands for? Yesterday I read the obituary of 84-year-old John Barry, the man who made WD-40 a household product. The slippery stuff was developed for the space program, to keep rust off rockets and smaller tools. Barry didn't invent it, but he helped name it and created the marketing mechanism which made it so popular. The product was invented to displace water. They got the right formula on the 40th try. The name means Water Displacement-40th attempt. I thought you couldn't live without knowing that.

6 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

That falls into the catogory of the 'things I never knew I never knew.' But you have me prepared for this question if I ever get to be on 'Jeopardy.' If I do, I'll split my winnings with you. (Don't hold your breath, I've never tried to get on 'Jeopardy.')

Realmcovet said...

Most definately could NOT live without knowing that. VERY interesting fact Joe.

When I was a kid I would following my dad around while he did his yearly spray of WD40 on all our squeaky door hinges, and sniff the heavenly delight, because I love the way that stuff smells.

I'm really excited to hear what you have to say about "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I've been wanting to read that book for quite some time. :)

Joe Barone said...

Realm,
Great to hear from you. I'm a slow reader. The Tatto book will probably be done some time next week.

Joe Barone said...

Corey,
I thought that little fact would cause some interest. I'd never even had sense enough to wonder what the product name meant before I read this.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I just finished it-slow getting into it, slow getting out of it but a great middle. Took me two weeks.

Joe Barone said...

Patti,
I had heard there were slow parts. I like to at least try books written by authors from other countries.