Friday, July 24, 2009

Unfinished novels and taboo subjects


Friday, July 24, 2009

Two short thoughts--

--I ran across an article about a so-called unfinished mystery novel by Graham Greene. Surely most writers have discarded or unfinished work. I know I have all kinds of finished and unfinished novels on my computer and on storage media. If you had one deceased novelist for whom they could find another previously unpublished work, who would it be?

--Are there some subjects which are taboo? I don't do politics in this blog, but I ran across a comment on the Internet that when Barack Obama commented on the Harvard incident, he touched one of the "third rails" of politics. Are there "third rails" or taboo subjects in mystery novel writing? I've often wondered how far a mystery novel with a gay minister detective would go in the publishing world. Not that I could write such a book. I think a gay person would have to do that, but would that be a third rail? Are there "third rail" subjects or protagonists for mystery writers?

No comments: