Monday, August 17, 2009

Short Takes

Monday, August 17, 2009

--A while back, I thought of reminding people of Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö. The Martin Beck books were among the best I have read over the years. But now I don't have to do it. Declan Burke has done it on
Crime Always Pays. Here's the link.

--To what extent do you agree with this list of The Fifty Greatest Crime Writers of All Time? I stumbled on it in my meandering around the Web.

--Kwei Quartey's
Wife of the Gods is as good to read as the reviews have said it is. I am about half way through. I'll tell you a bit more about it when I finish in a day or two.

--My writings on the blog are shorter now because I am back to my own writing. Writing is a roller coaster experience for someone of my emotional makeup. It is still the most satisfying thing I do.

2 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I think the list got the "classic" writers correct but am not so sure about everyone they list as contemporary greats. Only time will reveal that part of it.

Joe Barone said...

The thing that most pleased me about the list was Georges Simenon. I read so many of those books (and watched them get shorter and shorter). I thought he was a truly classy writer.

My other thoughts are mostly quibbles. Some wrters I would put higher (like Ed McBain) and some lower. I've never read much Patricia Highsmith. I guess I'll have to.