Tuesday, September 15, 2009

They Were Just People

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Some things are coming to a close.

A few years ago, as I concluded my ministry, I became aware of how many World War II veterans I had buried.

Recently on KOMU, the local TV station just down the road from us, Sarah Hill has done pieces on The Honor Flight, air flights to take aging veterans to see the WWII memorial in Washington DC. Sarah became involved in this to honor the memory of her grandfather who served in WWII.

Today I ordered a copy of Bill Tammeus' and Rabbi Jacques Cukierkorn's They Were Just People, the personal accounts of a few of the survivors of the Holocaust. If they are not preserved, those stories too will soon be lost.

I haven't read the book, but I have read much of what Tammeus has written over the years, both in his role as the religion columnist for
The Kansas City Star and, now that he is retired, on his blog. Bill is a compassionate Christian who wants to help preserve the story of the Holocaust.

Today's entry on my blog is off topic. It does not have to do with mystery fiction, except that maybe it has to do with one of the greatest mysteries of all, the capacity of human beings for unbounded evil and unbounded good.

I just ordered the book. I haven't read it yet, but I have to believe this book will tell stories about both parts of human nature.


6 comments:

Bill said...

Thanks a million, Joe.

Joe Barone said...

Bill,
You are welcome.

Corey Wilde said...

Not a bit off-topic, Joe.

Joe Barone said...

Thanks, Corey. I believe this is an important book.

Chris said...

i will check out bill's blog here in a little while...i'd be interested to hear what you think of the book, as i may need to add it to my ever-growing reading list...books on the holocaust are my main focus right now, as i am continuing reseach for my blog Never Again!

Joe Barone said...

Chris,
I have bookmarked your blog so I can check in often. You can look for my comments about the book after I have read it. I expect that will be in several weeks.

Thanks for your comment. --Joe.