Thursday, October 8, 2009

Small Crimes


Thursday, October 9, 2009

We have a thunderstorm today. This will be short.
--------

Dave Zeltserman is a master of noir.

Every turn this book takes leads to hell.

Dave Zeltserman's Small Crimes gets darker and darker.

When ex-cop Joe Denton gets out of jail, evil overwhelms all his weak attempts to do something to redeem himself.

Zeltersman has the skill of piling on. The evil compounds exponentially.

The one redeeming act in the whole book comes at the end and leads to destruction.

Even for someone like me (unadulterated noir is usually not my cup of tea), Zeltersman is a genius, one of the best writers I've ever read.

Would I read this book again? Yes. It is that good. But I will probably forgo the next book, Pariah (which I understand is even darker). I will look to Zeltserman's detective series. Zeltserman is too good a writer not to read at all.

So, do I recommend this book? Without reservation. It is classic noir written powerfully.


2 comments:

Paul D. Brazill said...

I agree. I a real runaway trainwreck. Brilliant.

Joe Barone said...

I've only read this book and a short story in EQMM. I thought both were excellent.