Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sanctuary


At the end of Ken Bruen's Sanctuary, the narrator, Jack Taylor, says, "The church has ways of covering up that would make the Guards seem like amateurs."


Just a little later, he says, "...one way or another, the Church crushed anything outside their control."

This book has a chilling villain, created, in part, by the church.  


When you have a strong drive to justice, and you can't find justice in the religious institutions you should trust, you can be destroyed.  In that way, this insane killer and Jack Taylor have something in common.  


Many of the Taylor books deal with religious abuse.  The sad thing is, the abuses are believable.  And, in his own way, Jack rages against the abuses.



Jack works hard to destroy himself.  His drinking and drugging return in Sanctuary, probably making him better able to function, or, at least, able to function at all.  But there is a little healing too, a little more connection with his few friends.  At least, I hope so.


I think I read somewhere that there's another Jack Taylor book coming out soon.  I'm looking forward to seeing Jack's story continue.

8 comments:

Paul D. Brazill said...

Fine book!

Joe Barone said...

Yes. It is a fine book. He is a fine writer.

Corey Wilde said...

I thought the ending offered Jack a glimmer of hope, too. And that scene with the obese guy, when he was dying, just tore the heart right out of me.

Joe Barone said...

Me too.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I'm two behind. My favorite is THE DRAMATIST. Almost broke me heart.

Joe Barone said...

Patti, Somewhere in the last day or two, I read a post about writers who can make us root for difficult protagonists. I think Ken Bruen is THE past master at that. If I were to meet Jack Taylor we wouldn't hit it off at all, but I truly root for him when I read about him.

Naomi Johnson said...

I'm with you, Patti. The Dramatist just left little broken bits of me all over the floor.

Joe Barone said...

The Dramatist was so heartbreaking that I paused after reading that book and didn't read any others for a while.