Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Another Man's Moccasins by Craig Johnson


I have at least three more books to read.


This book took my breath away.  


It involves two interwoven stories.  Walt Longmire's memories of his time in Vietnam are triggered by the murder of a young Vietnamese girl in now-Sheriff Longmire's Absaroka County, Wyoming. 

Both stories make for compelling reading.


The stories intertwine.  The backstory at the heart of the crime is both real and evil.  The characters are compelling, both the ongoing characters and the ones Longmire meets along the way.  


If you read this book, I defy you to forget Virgil White Buffalo.


I read this book in twenty-four hours, a sort-of-record for me. 


This is the fourth in the Longmire series.  I plan to go back and read the other three in order and then to reread this one.  The story in Another Man's Moccasins is complex and interwoven.   I seldom reread a book, but I look forward to rereading this one with more understanding of the ins and outs of the intricate plot. 


I ran across this book the Friday after Thanksgiving in a remainder store in the Lake of the Ozarks.  I bought the book (and several others) on the chance I might like it. The books are inexpensive enough that if you can't read them through, you haven't lost much.  


Well, this time, I struck gold with Another Man's Moccasins.  For the life of me, I can't visualize why they would have had any left to sell so cheaply.

5 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

Couldn't agree more, Joe. Wonderful story. Jen Forbus turned me on to this series, and I can never thank her enough.

Joe Barone said...

I seem to remember seeing this book pictured on The Drowning Machine, but for some reason it didn't catch my attention then.

This writer sure has my attention now.

Anonymous said...

Virgil White Buffalo makes a return appearance in the latest in the series, HELL IS EMPTY.

This series is a winner.

Jeff M.

John said...

Johnson's so underrated. So often ignored. Why isn't he being nominated for awards left and write in the crime fiction world? There's a real crime. Thanks for writing about him.

Joe Barone said...

You are welcome. I've read all but the last one which I still have on my TBR list. I enjoyed them all but thought this one was the best of all so far.