Saturday, January 9, 2010

Death Without Company by Craig Johnson


Walt Longmire is like a cat with nine lives.

In the last two books I've read, he has used up three of them.

If I have any quibble with this book, it is that Longmire again faces death in two harrowing situations.  I hope the next book (which I have on my Kindle ready to go) doesn't have a similar ending.  Such endings might come to seem to be formulaic.

Otherwise, this is a compelling story.  A seemingly natural death in the local nursing home unfolds in such a way that the past opens up. Sheriff Longmire's friend and mentor, the former sheriff of Absaroka County, Lucian Connally, is intimately involved.  Henry Standing Bear is here too, as amazing a character as any I've come across.

The plot of Death Without Company is complex and satisfying.

This was not my favorite Walt Longmire book from among the three I've read so far.  That would be Another Man's Moccasins. But still, this book is compelling reading.

1 comment:

Corey Wilde said...

I agree with you on all points, Joe.