Tuesday, May 25, 2010

ROSEANNA by Maj Sjowall & Per Wahloo


This book has a chilling ending.  The ending was so intense for me that I had to scan the ending and then go back and read it.  

It all begins when dredgers find a body in a canal.  And then it goes from there.

This is a true police procedural with all the slow downs and struggles which police investigations face.  It involves many levels of several police departments, including one in the USA.  Martin Beck is the hinge of the investigation as we see it. 

Beck is truly human, struggling with his health and marriage, subject to ups and downs of all sorts, but tenacious through it all.  He works with other continuing characters who shore up his weaknesses. 

And the murderer is truly horrifying.  The murderer is more than psychopathic, really.

There's no doubt why this book is a classic, along with the whole Martin Beck series.  

When Mystery Guild reprinted the first two Beck books as a Lost Classic Omnibus, I knew I had to go back and read these two books again.  Now I've reread Roseanna after more than forty years, and I'm glad I did.

7 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

Sounds good. I have one of these books in my TBR, but not this one.

Joe Barone said...

Naomi,
Any one of them would be good. Some were set in Sweden and some elsewhere. I liked all the books, but those set in Sweden were best for me. They involved the whole cast of characters.

The Martin Beck book you always hear about is The Laughing Policeman.

Naomi Johnson said...

I think that's the one I have!

Cathy said...

I'm off to find a copy. Thanks for the review!

Joe Barone said...

Cathy,
You are welcome.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I loved all of their books but this one the most.

Joe Barone said...

Patti,
I agree. This is a really fine book.