Wednesday, October 27, 2010

INTERESTING MISTAKES

In the little comment below, I wrote about lightning striking.  Except that I spelled it "lightening."  When I finally caught the error, I looked the word up on my Word Web program and got this as the first definition: "Descent of the uterus into the pelvic cavity that occurs late in pregnancy; the fetus is said to have dropped."

Needless to say, I've never experienced that.

I am not a good speller.  But . . .

I went back and corrected the error in the previous post.

4 comments:

Mary said...

You have no idea what you're missing! LOL

Joe Barone said...

What can I say?

Helen said...

That is hilarious Joe....I find it hard to believe that you aren't a good speller! Who would have thought the difference in the two words were so different!!!

Joe Barone said...

Believe me, very similar words sometimes mean very different things.

Mistakes are interesting. When I worked on the Custer Country Chief in Nebraska years ago (closeto forty now, I guess), we put out a big football edition. It had a two-page spread with the word FOOTBALL! centered in huge type and pictures around the edges. When the thing was printed and in circulation, someone noticed that the headline said, FOOBALL!

Putting anything in print, even on a blog can be a humbling experience.