Friday, December 17, 2010

THE ONE CONSTANT--CHANGE


Last night's local newspaper had a story about how the county library will soon start checking out e-books.  If I remember correctly, you can check out as many as three at a time for up to 21 days.

We live in a town of 100,000, the largest town we've ever lived in.  It is a college town, so it is not unusual that it would be, not on the cutting edge, but just a couple of inches behind the cutting edge.

That's the way it is here, I think.

The electronic books come in several formats, but not the Amazon format.  You can't download on the Kindle.  You can download on a B&N Nook and on several other e-readers which use more accessible e-book formats.

The library is going to have classes in January to teach e-book readers (the people, not the machines) how to sign up and download e-books.

We know many people who are older, some who no longer drive their cars.  I couldn't help but think what a blessing these books might be to computer-savvy people who can no longer drive.

The only constant in life is change.  And not all changes are bad, though changes are sometimes disorienting.

I'm looking forward to this change for our local library.

2 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

I broke down and bought myself a Sony ereader for Christmas. I like it so much better than the Nook because of the note-taking feature AND because there are no games on it to distract me.I haven't checked out any library ebooks for it yet. Mostly I'm reading pdf and text files of short stories. I did download some freebies from The Gutenberg Project though.

Joe Barone said...

I have downloaded from Gutenberg too. I gave thought to trying to use that site to catch up on some of the classics I haven't read.

From what I've read about it, the Sony ereader looks like one of the best.