Saturday, March 5, 2011

LONG LOST by Harlan Coben





I prefer Myron Bolitar when he is solving clients' problems.

Harlan Coben's Long Lost is a different kind of book than the other Bolitar novels I've read. 

I have to confess, it has been a long time.  I read Bolitar until Coben retired him for a while, and I haven't read any since.  As I remember, the stories were interesting and sometimes complex, but I don't remember them as being nearly as complex as this story is.

It all begins when Bolitar's former lover Terese Collins calls him from Paris and asks him to come immediately.  Her ex-husband has disappeared and is in trouble.  She needs Boltiar's help.

From there, the story leads Bolitar to find out about Terese's husband Rick's death.  He also learns of her dead child and stumbles onto a whole series of other events.  Those events lead to complications involving stem cell research and embryonic transplants.  This in turn leads to a ring of international terrorists.

The story is violent, complex, and (for me at least) barely believable. The one strong character for me is a Paris law enforcement official who becomes a friend of Bolitar's.

The story's saving grace  is Coben's clear, compelling style.  He kept me reading, even as I found myself thinking, "This stuff couldn't really happen.  At least not like this."

So, this is a story for readers who want action, cold-hearted violence, the same mix of regular characters (Little Pocahontas, Win, and the rest), and a writing style that makes for good, quick reading.

If you like violence, action, adventure, and stories about terrorism, this book might be your cup of tea.

2 comments:

rohit said...

An enjoyable read Long Lost by Harlan Coben. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and original, this book is going in by "to read" list.

Joe Barone said...

Thank you. I try to give enough of the flavor of the book that people can judge for themselves whether they would like it.