Monday, February 6, 2012

BURIED STRANGERS by Leighton Gage


Leighton Gage’s Buried Strangers is a bone-chilling book. If you are into cozies, this would not be your fare.

Chief Inspector Mario Silva and his team investigate a secret cemetery. Set in Sao Paulo, Brazil, the story involves the mass murder of mostly indigenous people of all ages.

Someone has hidden the cemetery in a rain forest-like park where it is hard to find.

A wayward dog leaves his owner, goes into the forest, and returns with a human bone.  That bone leads to dozens of buried bodies. Those bodies lead to a complex plot, and the complex plot finally involves one of the most well-known mass murderers of all time.

Along the way, Silva works within the incredible corruption of the Brazilian police. He watches his immediate superior worry about inconsequential interdepartmental politics while Silva deals with the cold-blooded murder of men, women, children, police colleagues, and others connected with the plot.

Readers need to experience the specific details of the story for themselves. It is enough for me to say that this book was powerful, chilling, and difficult for me to read. But it was excellent. I am glad I read it.

Once in a while, I found myself putting the book away. I needed to rest from both the gruesome nature of the story and my intense response.

I had heard that Leighton Gage wrote powerfully, that his books were well worth reading. My sources were correct.

2 comments:

Leighton Gage said...

Hi Joe,
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to review BURIED STRANGERS.
Remember that particularly evil person who gets away at the end?
She returns in the next book, DYING GASP, making those the only two books in the series that should be read in sequence.
Warmest Regards.

Joe Barone said...

Thanks for the heads up. I would have bet a buck I was going to see that character again. BURIED STRANGERS is a terrific book.